Having the right auto insurance policy can help protect you financially if you are involved in an accident or your vehicle is damaged. An auto insurance policy is designed to provide you with a layer of protection against property, liability and medical costs following an accident. But choosing the right auto insurance can be overwhelming. Reach out to our agency today to learn more about auto insurance and find the policy that’s right for you.
What Do Auto Insurance Policies Cover?
Depending on the policy you choose, your coverages will vary. Here are some of the most popular coverages:
- Collision insurance—This portion of your policy helps cover damage costs if you are involved in a collision.
- Liability insurance—If you are at fault in a wreck, this type of coverage helps insure you against any damage you cause others. Most states, including Illinois, require drivers to carry minimum amounts of liability insurance. There are two kinds of coverage included in liability insurance:
- Property damage liability—This coverage helps pay for damage to the other driver’s property (e.g., their car).
- Bodily injury liability—This coverage helps pay for medical bills and sometimes death benefits for the other person involved in the wreck.
- Medical payments (MedPay) insurance—This portion of your policy helps you pay for the medical bills of you and your passengers if you are involved in an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance—This type of coverage helps you cover the cost of damages caused by someone who doesn’t have adequate auto insurance, specifically liability coverage.
- Comprehensive insurance—This portion of your policy covers damages that are not related to a wreck, such as theft, weather damage or vandalism.
There may be additional coverages that will be necessary based on your unique situation. Be sure to ask our agency how we can tailor your auto coverage to your needs.
Questions to ask your agent
Your Independent Agent is an advocate for finding auto insurance that meets your specific needs. Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:
- How much can you afford to pay if you get in an accident? (To keep premiums low you may want to have a higher deductible and be willing to pay more for repairs.)
- What is the insurance company’s level of service and ability to pay claims?
- What discounts are available? (Ask about good driver, multiple policy and student discounts.)
- What’s the procedure for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)
How to Get Auto Insurance
Universal Insurance Services is committed to helping you find a policy to fit your specific needs. Reach out to us today to start the conversation or to get a quote.